DURANGO, Colo. (AP) -- People in wheelchairs protested a lack of access to buildings in Durango. And to prove their point, they rolled up and down stairs, banged into doors and waited for emergency responders to pull them out of tight ...
Money Market Funds Explore Callable Commercial Paper in Value Search Money market funds (MMFs) are slowly increasing exposure to a relatively new short-term instrument - callable commercial paper (CP), according to Fitch Ratings. MMFs are exploring callable CP as a way to add additional yield and diversification to portfolios, as well as in response to banks' reduced appetite for providing ...
(Image: Reuters/Rick Wilking) These burned-out cars bear witness to the deadly power of a wildfire burning out of control in the Black Forest area of Colorado, one of the ...
The survivors of a woman killed during the production of a reality TV show pilot have filed a wrongful death and negligence lawsuit against Discovery Communications Inc. and Anthropic Productions Corp. Terry Flanell’s husband and daughter filed the lawsuit last week in federal court in Denver. It says the companies were producing a pilot focusing on the family’s Colorado Springs ...
The number of homes destroyed by a Colorado wildfire rose above 500 on Tuesday as rain dampened the flames and allowed damage assessment teams to enter charred neighborhoods, as other threatening blazes grew in Alaska and elsewhere in the West. The Black Forest Fire, which has killed at least two people and has burned outside Colorado Springs for the past week, was 85 percent contained by ...
It has always been said that funny is a matter of taste. "Kingpin" is a matter of being funny by being tasteless. "Kingpin" is a gross, screwball comedy sprinkled with social and cultural satire, then loaded with bathroom humor and a whole heaping of cinema in-jokes and movie spoofs, plus one good sheep joke. If anything, "Kingpin" features a great competition between two characters for the worst ... ...
CARLSBAD, New Mexico - A man who survived the Columbine High School massacre as a teenager was electrocuted.Matthew Depew, 30, now of Carlsbad, New Mexico, was working on some power lines Saturday when he was shocked. He did not survive."Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the friends, family and co-workers affected by this tragic accident," Xcel Energy said in a statement sent to ...
Scott said he was standing about 50 feet from the flames when his neighbor's home caught fire. "The fire was huge, unbelievably powerful," Scott ...
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) -- The Larimer County District Attorney's office has decided not to file charges in the April stabbing death of Kenneth ...
James Gonzales of Wildfire Support Team from Santa Fe, New Mexico, takes his team to another home where the crew scours the properties for any kind of hotspots inside of the Black Fire fire zone on June 17, 2013. (Helen H. Richardson, The Denver ...
The National Basketball Association, the Denver Nuggets and Pepsi Center are committed to creating a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable sports & entertainment experience. NBA fans have a right to expect an environment where: Players will respect and appreciate each and every fan. Guests will be treated in a consistent, professional and courteous manner by all arena and team ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Mantra on Jolimont, East Melbourne, Australia
Right from our arrival the Mantra on Jolimont had an air of friendliness, and a sense that the property was ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Colorado StarColorado Star – Colorado state news service
The Colorado Star is essentially a local Colorado newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Colorado, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Colorado, Colorado, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Colorado Star.
BLACK FOREST, Colorado - A wildfire forced authorities to evacuate more than 900 prisoners from a state prison near Colorado Springs early Wednesday, one of four wildfires that raged across the Front Range of the Rockies burning up scores of homes.
About 2,500 homes and businesses in northeast El Paso County have also been evacuated, affecting about 6,400 people.
The fires were reported in El Paso County, Royal Gorge, Rocky Mountain National Park and Huerfano County.
Colorado Public Radio's Megan Verlee said at least 60 homes have been destroyed by one of the fires. The most damaging blaze is the Black Forest fire that has engulfed several homes in a heavily wooded development near Colorado Springs, she said.
Black Forest is a residential area northeast of Colorado Springs named for its thick growth of Ponderosa Pines.
Six helicopters and an air tanker were on the scene, El Paso County sheriff Terry Maketa said. C-130 cargo planes are also being deployed to help fight the fire.
The area is not far from last summer's devastating Waldo Canyon Fire that destroyed 346 homes and killed two.
The National Inter-agency Coordination Center says the Black Forest Fire has so far consumed about 7,500 acres and is zero percent contained. ...
- FedEx offers glum outlook on economic growth
- Investors shouldnt worry about the Fed
- What Google could learn from Yahoos acquisition strategy
- US STOCKS-Wall St edges lower as Fed statement looms
- NYSE partner ATG file for approval to create Brazil exchange
- Columbine survivor Depew dies working on power lines in New Mexico
- Colorado marijuana dispensary owner 11 others indicted on 71 charges
- CSFD and CSPD go to bat for Black Forest Fire Victims in first annual...
- Waldo survivors help Black Forest victims and more
- A drive into the Black Forest burn site
- Obama welcomes Iran's election of moderate president
- No breakthrough in talks between UK and Ecuador over Assange
- Leaders of G8 call for peace in Syria and pledge humanitarian aid
- Obama proposes further US Russian nuclear arms cut
- US women in all combat units by 2016 Pentagon
- Google spending $7mn to fight child pornography
- Yahoo follows Facebook and Microsoft in publishing US govt sought snoop data
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- Microsoft offers hefty bounties to thwart hackers
- TD best suited Canadian bank to respond to higher rates U.S. dollar
- Tourism Minister announces new campaign to promote Himalayas
- Alaska Airlines clarifies boarding for turboprops
- Check In Hotel Review Acme Hotel Company in Chicago
- Overnighter Chasing Waves South of Tokyo
- Kenya Fuel Cost Cited As Main Challenge for African Airlines
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Colorado Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- People with disabilities in Durango protest access
- Fitch Rates Colorado Hsg Fin Auth VRBs Ser 2004A A+F1
- Colorado wildfire leaves landscape of destruction
- Family Sues Over Colorado Woman’s Death In Reality TV Project
- Colorado Wildfire Burns More Than 500 Homes New Blazes in West